Hello, new mama! We are sure you are super busy with life as a new mom and cherishing every moment that comes with it. But if you find yourself missing the days when you used to get dressed up or apply your full glam routine, we totally understand. Even as you transition and adapt to this new phase of your life, creating outfits that excite you and make you feel confident is still important.
But as you adjust to your new lifestyle, you may realize that your favorite pieces of clothing or outfits don’t necessarily fit — not only physically, but also in terms of how the clothing fits your daily agenda and activities. If you’re feeling like you don’t see yourself in your wardrobe, don’t panic. Our wardrobes are supposed to be reflective of our lives, personality and current needs. Becoming a mom drastically shifts all of those things in less than a year’s time, which is why you may feel out of touch when it comes to your wardrobe.
As women, our bodies are always changing. During pregnancy, our body is on a fast track to drastically change, and then it continues to evolve postpartum. Many women struggle with postpartum body image issues and insecurities, which is totally normal. However, dressing a body that has been through so many changes over the course of a year can be stressful, difficult and upsetting.
At Creativeclipsbycolleen, we want you to feel confident at every stage in life and throughout the many changes that you will experience. One way we believe in empowering you and helping you build your confidence is through cute maternity clothes and outfits. While your current wardrobe might be a touchy topic and something that makes you feel like a stranger in your own body, we want to encourage you to build a plus size wardrobe that feels like it was made for you at this exact moment. So let’s get excited about clothes again while looking at how to wear chill outfits in a way that boosts your confidence and makes you feel more put together.
Post-Pregnancy Clothes to Keep in Your Closet
In order to create the most stylish and comfortable outfits, it’s important to keep these staples in your closet. These pieces are going to ensure your comfort while also giving you the perfect foundation to create trendy and confidence-boosting outfits.
- Leggings – Leggings are every girl’s best friend, but they are an especially wonderful piece to keep in your closet when your body is going through changes and adjustments. Leggings mold to your shape and are very stretchy, which means that you will be able to comfortably wear leggings during many different phases. You can also dress leggings up and down, as with jeans.
- Maternity or Stretchy Jeans – While yoga pants and leggings are perfectly acceptable for most occasions, you may want to style a pair of jeans with a cute blouse or t-shirt. In that case, you will want to make sure you have jeans that stretch and feel good on your body. If the jeans feel so good that you could wear them all day or even lounge around in them, that’s how you know you found the right pair.
- Cute Graphic Tees – If you are looking for a quick way to elevate leggings, jeans or shorts, fun graphic or band tees can easily add more personality to your look. These are great tees to keep on hand, and there are also many ways to style them. You can knot them to the side or front, tuck them in or leave them as is — whichever makes you feel most comfortable.
- Basic, Staple Tops – FIll your closet with loose-fitting blouses that are versatile and which can be styled with leggings, jeans or work pants.
- Comfortable Shoes – Which shoes are you most likely to wear these days? Sneakers, flats, sandals or wedges? No matter what you’re feeling, stock up on a few pairs of shoes in different colors that will pair well with any of your favorite looks.
- Dresses – Wearing plus maxi dresses is a great way to feel stylish while also allowing your body to remain comfortable. There are so many different styles of dresses that are going to hug every curve just right, which we will talk about more below!
- Loungewear and Athleisure – Whether you are going to the gym or spending most of your days at home or running errands, stylish plus size loungewear, gym sets and athleisure looks are going to make your life so much easier. Gym attire like yoga pants and loungewear are usually very comfortable and supportive, which is exactly what your body needs right now.
- Nursing-Friendly Tops – If you’re breastfeeding or pumping, it’s important to have cute and functional nursing tops so that you can be ready for whatever the day has in store. While there are tops made specifically for nursing, you can also use any blouse that has a tube-top style, buttons down, has straps that untie or is a wrap-style blouse that can easily be adjusted. Not only are these tops and blouses extremely convenient for nursing moms, but they are also incredibly stylish.
Post-Pregnancy Plus Size Outfits
Now that you have an idea of which kind of comfortable staples you need in your closet, it’s time to put together some cute outfits that not only make you feel comfortable, but also reflect your style and boost your confidence.
Flowy Mini Dress
If you have a special day planned with your girlfriends or you want to enjoy the warmer days of summer in a cute outfit, we highly suggest styling a babydoll mini dress. These dresses are flowy, ensuring your comfort, but they won’t drown out your figure. You can either go with a tank top or a short-sleeve or a long-sleeve style, which makes this style very versatile and perfect for any season.
Jeans and a Tee
Sometimes wearing jeans makes us feel more structured and supported, which is why we think this look is great for your postpartum bod. Make sure to prioritize denim styles that feel good on your skin and stretch to hug your beautiful curves just right. You can top off this look with a cool band tee or graphic t-shirt. Give your shirt a french tuck or knot it to the side to highlight your curves. You can also elevate this look by topping it off with a pair of cute sandals or ankle boots and a wide-brimmed hat.
Matching loungewear sets are so popular and trendy today, and for a great reason! Not only is loungewear very comfortable but, if you style a matching set, you will naturally look more put together and posh — without having to do much. You can top off this look with a pair of comfortable pool slides or tennis shoes. To elevate this outfit, add in one of your favorite designer handbags or a pair of statement sunglasses.
If you love wearing one outfit throughout your entire day — whether you’re staying home or running errands — maxi dresses make the perfect look that’s quick and easy to assemble. Choose from a variety of styles, prints and patterns that match your mood for the day. You can also easily dress a maxi up for a special occasion while also staying very comfortable.
Button-Down Shirt with Jeans or Leggings
This is a more formal style that is also perfectly practical for new moms. The button-down shirt not only looks stylish and put together, but it’s also a win for nursing mothers. For the jeans, choose a style that’s stretchy or isn’t super curve-hugging. You can give this shirt a french tuck or leave one side untucked for an edgy look. Top this look off with a pair of sandals, flats or sneakers.
Nursing-Friendly Jumpsuit and Rompers
Jumpsuits will forever be our favorite style staple because they are very comfortable and effortlessly stylish. However, we realize they may not be the most practical garment for new moms on the go. If you’re able to find a wrap jumpsuit or a jumpsuit that is nursing-friendly, this style will be one of your favorites. These jumpsuits are very soft and curve-contouring, and they make it easy for you to nurse whenever and wherever you need to. If rompers are more your style, or they are more practical for the weather, try nursing-friendly rompers too. This is a cute style that will make you feel radiant and confident.
Off-the-Shoulder Sweater and Jeans
Looking for a slouchy style that is still stylish and fun? Pair an off-the-shoulder sweater with a pair of your favorite skinny jeggings or shorts. This outfit is cute and comfortable, and it’s something you can wear all day. You can easily elevate this outfit by adding some dainty jewelry or bold earrings to the look.
High-Waist Skirt and Crop Top
If you need a look that is elevated for more formal occasions, you can pair a high-waist midi skirt with a tucked-in graphic tee, crop top or blouse. Top this look off with a pair of low heels for a hot momma look that makes you feel like a bombshell.
Leggings and a Tunic
For the days where you don’t feel like getting dressed, but you want some support and coverage, try wearing leggings that hug your curves just right, paired with plus size tunic tops. This is the ultimate comfy look that will support you throughout your day.
Loose Maxi Dress with a High Slit
Let’s be honest. It can be hard to strike a balance between being comfortable while also feeling a little sexy — especially when it comes to creating an outfit that marries the two. But by sporting a loose maxi dress with a high slit, you can have a style that is both comfortable and hot! The high slit will allow you to show some skin without being too revealing or making you feel uncomfortable.
If you need an outfit that is nursing-friendly, functional and stylish, look no further than the wrap dress. Wrap dresses make it easy for you to nurse your baby wherever you are without having to undress. Wrap dresses can come in a variety of styles and fits, from maxi to mini and printed to minimal. You’re sure to find a wrap dress that fits your personal style. Wrap dresses are also curve-contouring, meaning they look amazing on your figure. You can also wear this versatile piece for any occasion. From church to brunch with the girls or just simply around the house.
Cardigans and Kimonos with Jeans and Shorts
The right kimono or cardigan can turn any look into a stylish outfit that prioritizes your comfort. Whether you’re wearing jeans and a tank top or shorts and a tie blouse, top off your look with a cozy cardigan or a flowy kimono to add some dimension to your look.
Button-Down Shirt Dresses
If you want to add more structured pieces into your wardrobe, try styling button-down shirt dresses with a cute pair of sneakers and a belt to highlight your figure. Button-down dresses are also great for nursing moms.
If you’re feeling down about your wardrobe or you don’t know where to start when it comes to styling looks for your beautiful, changing body, we hope these outfit ideas inspire you! Just because you have a new set of priorities doesn’t mean that you can’t dig deep and style new outfits that make you feel confident and beautiful.