We have finally arrived at spring, which is so exciting because it means we get to shed the layers of heavy winter clothing and embrace fun colors and fits that make us feel vibrant and free. But it also means that we are that much closer to summer. We have so many fun and flirty looks planned for every occasion as soon as the temperature rises. There are so many opportunities to dress up over the summer no matter what your schedule looks like. From backyard barbecues to music festivals to brunch with the girls or a night out, you’re going to want to keep these looks in heavy rotation.
While it may be fun to embrace new styles as the seasons change, having the right outfits during summer could also be critical to ensuring you feel confident and vibrant no matter where you go. Body anxiety can run rampant during the summer months because people are usually wearing less clothing, spending time at the pool or the beach and participating in more social events. Many women will forgo attending fun events, beach trips or group gatherings during the summer because they aren’t feeling confident in their own skin. And while it’s important to remember that women of all shapes and sizes have their own insecurities, plus size women are more susceptible to feeling this way during the summer.
But we have good news! We are here to help create styles that will boost your confidence and have you feeling like the life of the party so that you can live your best life this summer. Clothing can act as a powerful tool for building confidence because studies show that when we wear an outfit that feels good, our self-esteem skyrockets.
At Creativeclipsbycolleen, we want to be your confidence partner–whether you need style advice or a new dress that will reinvigorate your passion for fashion. You deserve to feel beautiful and confident throughout every season. So, no matter what plans you have this summer or what you want to wear, go forth confidently! You’ve got this!
Let’s dive into this summer style guide to prepare ourselves to have the best summer ever!
Summer is all about showing some skin, but if you’d rather take a more modest approach while still embracing fun and flirty styles, these trends are for you!
- Off the Shoulder–Whether you like to wear jeans, shorts or skirts, plus size off the shoulder tops complete any summer look. They subtly show off some skin and give you the opportunity to spice up any outfit. From florals to bright colors, these tops are perfect for any occasion.
- Maxi Dresses with a Slit–Maxi dresses are the perfect plus size staple, but if you want to show a little skin, try sporting a maxi with a high slit or an off-the-shoulder fit. This style will make you feel like the goddess you are!
- Babydoll Dresses–If you want a confidence-boosting outfit without having something that’s constantly hugging your curves, embrace a plus size babydoll dress! These dresses are fun and flirty, but they can also be so comfortable.
Lovely and Laid Back
If you spend your summer outside at barbecues, picnics and other outdoor social events, you want a versatile look that’s casual and comfortable. Of course, you will never want to sacrifice style for comfort, so you will need to be able to dress this look up or down for whatever the day has in store!
- Tie Front Top–If you’re a jeans and T-shirt kind of girl, dress up your go-to fit with a plus size tie front top. This blouse gives your outfit an elevated look and comes in different fits, styles and colors.
- Tank Top Maxi–Maxi dresses are versatile and can easily be dressed up or down. If you love a simple laid back look that’s also chic, shoot for a monochromatic maxi and knot the bottom of the dress on one side for a unique touch!
Dressed to the Nines
Meeting the girls for a boozy brunch or a night out on the town, you’ll want a summer look that will have you feeling sassy and confident all day and night. These summer staples won’t disappoint.
- Party Dresses–For a night out with your girls, you’ll want a dress that will turn heads! Plus size party dresses will give you that extra dose of confidence you’ve been craving so you can look elegant by the bar or hit the dance floor all night long! From sequins to sleek black fits, you’ll find a curve-hugging dress that will make your night out one you won’t forget. Remember to snap some photos so everybody will know how cute you look in your party dress.
- Off the Shoulder Dresses–Looking for a cute outfit that will make you feel like the chicest of them all? It doesn’t matter if you’re heading to brunch or running errands. Plus size off the shoulder dresses are perfect for so many summer occasions. Dress them up or down and embrace a wide variety of colors and patterns to match your mood of the day.
Style Risk Taker
Are you a bold fashionista who loves to try new trends? Do you love to put your very own twist on an everyday outfit staple? These daring styles will be right up your alley, and you’ll be able to wear them out with your friends or to your office for that summer internship you just scored!
- Jumpsuits and Rompers–The greatest thing about jumpsuits and rompers is that they don’t require much effort, but they instantly make you look like a fashionista who lives and breathes personal style. Whether you like a comfortable black jumpsuit that pairs well with a duster cardigan for the office or you love bold stripes and a cinched waist, Creativeclipsbycolleen has plus size jumpsuits and rompers that fit every style profile.
- Bold Prints and Colors–If you love to create a bold look, embrace patterns and bright hues to turn your summer style up a notch. From tops to bottoms, make daring pairings that turn heads. Believe us, you will certainly turn that confidence up a few notches when you realize what a few bold fashion moves will do. Mixing and matching patterns can also be a fun way to create a look that masters contrast and catches eyes! The hottest patterns and prints for this summer are camouflage, leopard, floral, tie-dye and stripes.
- All About the Hems–If you’re bored with everyday wear, try new styles that incorporate bold trends that excite. For example, try plus size shorts with a scalloped hemline! You don’t see bottoms with fun hemlines often, so this is your chance to start a trend!
Depending on where you live, summer temps could be mild or hotter than hot, but that doesn’t mean you need to abandon jeans. Just because shorts and skirts may be the most practical, denim pants are still a staple that could be a part of your favorite, everyday go-to look. Here’s how to dress your favorite jeans to make your looks sizzle.
- Ripped Denim–Distressed denim is so perfect for summer because it gives you an effortlessly chic look. You can dress these jeans up or down, but for a casual vibe, pair these jeans with a crop top or a graphic T-shirt. Don’t look now, you might be too cool for school. And that’s a good thing in the summer.
- White Denim–If you want to wear jeans, but have a formal event or gathering to attend, white denim is your best friend. These jeans naturally look a little classier than most pants and they typically lend themselves well to chic tops and accessories.
- Bold Prints–If you have more of an edgy style, indulge in leopard print jeans. These naturally give off an edgy vibe and are best paired with neutral-colored T-shirts. For the cooler nights of summer, top off your look with a faux leather moto jacket.
- Bell Bottoms–These wide-leg pants have come in and out of fashion for the past decade, but we think the trend is finally here to stay for this season. Pair these bell bottom jeans with a fitted top or crop top and have fun with statement earrings, necklaces and bracelets. Just make sure you know how to disco!
If summer is your season to hit the festivals and concerts, these outfits are for you. Whether your style is laid back or full of statement pieces, these outfits will have you feeling like you fit right in with any scene.
- Duster Cardigans–These whimsical cardigans were made for the music scene. Pair them with shorts or jeans and a crop top for the ultimate music festival look. They will move with your curves and the breeze so you’ll be feeling majestic all day.
- Lace Dresses–Whether they are maxi, midi or mini, floral lace dresses are all you need to end up on a best dressed list. These dresses give you so much flexibility when it comes to dressing them up for different occasions and accessorizing them. Pro Tip: If you’re going to a festival during the day, accessorize with pastel sunglasses and you’ll fit right in during those hot, summer events.
- Mini Dresses–Dresses with a mini fit and hemline may be the most practical attire for any summer activity, but they especially lend themselves well to being worn during music festivals or concerts. Try an off the shoulder mini ruffle dress for a laid back look that goes well with wedges or cowboy boots—you choose!
Just because winter is over doesn’t mean you can’t layer! Your layering technique during summer will vary greatly from what you do during the colder seasons, so here are some pieces we love to layer during the warmer months and how to style them!
- Bralettes–Cute plus size bralettes can be worn on their own or layered under a blouse or a dress. If you want to wear it on its own, pair it with high-waisted shorts and a flowy cardigan. You can also layer an embellished bralette under a dress, jumpsuit or romper that has a plunging neckline.
- See-Through Pieces–Light, airy and see-through styles are a summer favorite at Creativeclipsbycolleen. To add dimension to your look or provide yourself with a little more coverage, you can layer a bralette or crop top under these pieces.
- Cardigans and Kimonos–Never forget to sport your favorite lightweight kimonos and cardigans this summer. Whether it’s a cool night or a breezy day, these pieces layer perfectly on top of your favorite summer looks. Cardigans and kimonos can spice up a plain or basic outfit or they can completely change the style of a look. They also can dress up any outfit if you’re in a hurry!
Finding the Best Looks for Your Body Type
Since summer is all about shedding bulky layers and showing some more skin, you may be thinking more about how to flatter your figure with styles that enhance, contour and accentuate your curves. While we think you will look good in anything you decide to wear and that you shouldn’t feel restricted to certain styles, we have put together a guide that can help you identify the best fits and styles for your body type! Learn how to dress for your body type and how to show off your best assets!