If you’re curious about shapewear, you have come to the right place! Whether you have tried shapewear or you are trying to see how it could fit into your lifestyle and wardrobe, we are going to share the many must-knows of shapewear, as well as tips on how to properly wear it.
Shapewear is a foundational garment or undergarment that smooths and cinches the wearer’s body to achieve an hourglass figure or make the body appear more contoured under tight clothing. Shapewear comes in many different styles, from underwear to camisoles and full-body jumpsuits. There are also shapewear undergarments for the arms. And while shapewear is widely used, there are a lot of misconceptions about the garment, one being that it’s only for plus size or curvy women. When, in fact, shapewear is worn by women of all shapes and sizes.
These garments are able to change the shape of your body, impermanently, through compression and stretchy fabrics. Shapewear garments also range in compression and stretchiness to ensure that every woman can wear them comfortably and achieve the effect they want to. Shapewear is not only used as a way to smooth out the curves of bodies, but has also become a wardrobe staple as it also offers much-needed support where traditional undergarments don’t.
What to Know Before Buying Shapewear
Wearing and ordering shapewear for the first time can be confusing and stressful. Since the garments have so much compression, it’s not only hard to determine which size you wear, but, once you get home, it’s even harder to get on. With the help of this guide, you should be on your way to wearing shapewear flawlessly.
- Take Your Measurements
As you start to shop for shapewear to wear under plus size jeggings, you are going to want to take your measurements. Ordering the correct size of shapewear is critical to making sure you are able to wear the garment comfortably. Your measurements should allow you to see which size of shapewear to order by using the brand’s sizing guide. Make sure to pay very close attention to the brand’s sizing guide, as their sizes may not match the size you typically wear.
How to Acclimate to Your Shapewear
Because shapewear is a compressive garment, it may take some getting used to. Make sure you get to know how you feel wearing shapewear before you wear it IRL.
- Wear Shapewear Around the House
If you haven’t worn shapewear before, you may want to wear it around the house for small amounts of time to get used to how it moves with your body and feels. If you’re not used to compression garments, it does take some time to learn what feels best.
How to Wear Shapewear
Did you know you can wear shapewear with almost any outfit? We are about to show you how!
- Bodysuit Shapewear – If you are wearing plus size leggings, jeans or a mini skirt, and you are looking for extra support in your tummy area, wearing bodysuit shapewear will present a seamless look. The bodysuit is one of the most versatile pieces of shapewear because it’s basically undetectable while also being able to double as a stylish bodysuit under jeans or shorts.
- Shapewear Thong – For the outfits and off-the-shoulder tops where you have to go strapless, try a high-waisted shapewear thong. This gives you added support without straps.
- Shapewear Shorts – If you’re trying to figure out how to prevent thigh chafing, shapewear shorts are a great way to give your inner thighs a little extra support and love while smoothing your curves.
- Slip Shapewear – For a smoothing look under any kind of dress, try a shapewear dress. This shapewear is smoothing all over, with added compression for the tummy.
- Short Bodysuit Shapewear – If you want the extra coverage to combat chub rub, and you also want compression all over, a short bodysuit is going to work wonders for you. You can wear these under any kind of dress or skirt.
There are so many different styles of shapewear, you are bound to find pieces that work with any outfit. The biggest obstacle to wearing shapewear is getting used to the compression level and how it feels under your clothing.