Have you been interested in learning more about your face shape? If the answer is yes, you have come to the right place! There are so many different face shapes out there, as each woman is uniquely shaped. But we think it’s important to know which face shape you have because it can dictate many things — similarly to how your individual body type allows you to find clothing that you feel and look your best in.
So, whether you’re looking for a new pair of eyeglasses or sunglasses that fit your face shape or you want to learn how certain plus size tops can elevate your face and look, we have compiled some helpful resources to assist you in determining your face shape. At Creativeclipsbycolleen, we think every body — and face shape — is beautiful and perfect just as it is. Now, let’s talk faces, shall we?
Source: bus109 / Shutterstock.com
Finding Your Face Shape
Take a look in the mirror and analyze your face’s features. Take note of some of your prominent features. Do you have a pointy or wide jaw? What about your forehead? Is your face slender and long or does it have a rounder shape? Taking note of these physical attributes can help you determine which shape your face most closely represents.
Here are some common face shapes that you should be able to identify with, along with some of the traits they have. If you are having a hard time determining your face shape, it could be possible that your face is a combination of a few of the shapes below.
- Heart – Heart-shaped faces have a wider forehead with a more slender shape toward the bottom.
- Oval, Circle, and Diamond – If your forehead is smaller, but you have wider cheekbones and eyes, you may have an oval, circle, or diamond shape. If your forehead and chin are symmetrical, you may have more of an oval-shaped face. Diamond-shaped faces have strong and protruding cheekbones. Circle faces may appear shorter and wider than an oval-shaped faces.
- Triangle – Opposite of the heart-shaped face, triangle face shapes have a wider jaw and smaller forehead.
- Square and Oblong – If you find that your face has a pretty similar shape all the way around, you may have a square- or oblong-shaped face.
Complementing Your Face Shape with Clothing and Accessories
Finding out which face shape most closely resembles yours can be beneficial for a number of things besides finding the flattering plus size haircuts for your face. By getting to know your facial attributes, you can start to learn how to complement, minimize or enhance them with clothing and accessories. We have included some of our favorite styling tips that can help you naturally contour your face.
- Elongate the Face – If you have a circular or square face and want to try elongating your shape, you can easily do so by wearing blouses that have a plunging neckline. You can also wear dangling earrings that will naturally elongate your face.
- Soften Pointy Jawlines – If you have a longer face shape or a sharp jaw, and you want to soften or widen your face shape naturally, try topping off your favorite look with off-the-shoulder tops. Highlighting your shoulders will balance out a pointy jawline and give your face more of a balanced look.
- Minimize Length – If you want to minimize your face shape, you can always sport tops with a high neckline like a turtleneck. Wearing blouses with higher necklines will do the opposite of elongating your face shape, which could be helpful if you want to balance out an oval- or oblong- shaped face.
Accentuate Your Face – Regardless of your shape, if you want to accentuate your face, try adding dainty necklaces to your look. If you want to elongate your face, stick to necklaces on longer chains. If you would like to highlight your face shape, you can always opt for a choker or a necklace with a shorter chain. And the same style rule goes for earrings, too. If you want an elongated look, start styling your outfits with earrings that dangle or hang below your chin. Aside from accessories, if you want to create a flattering face silhouette, try wearing more solid color tops. These tops highlight your face, and darker-colored tops can also help define certain features like cheekbones and your eyes.
Now that you are aware of your face shape, we encourage you to experiment with different styles and accessories. At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is your own, and you should always wear what you feel the most confident in!