Source: Komarova Julia /Shutterstock
Are you getting ready for bikini season? If so, we’d love to help you find the plus-size bathing suits that you feel most confident in. Whether you love rocking bikinis, one-pieces, or tankinis, every swimsuit style is perfect for lounging by the pool or lying out by the beach — as long as you feel comfortable and confident.
We are going to share which swimsuits look most flattering on different body types, but we want you to know that we believe any body is a bikini body. At Creativeclipsbycolleen, we are huge proponents of the body positivity movement and believe that you should wear whatever you feel best in — even if it goes outside of what’s recommended for your shape. We wanted to create this swimsuit style guide as a way to inspire you to try new styles that may surprise you!
Before we dive into our favorite swimsuit styles for each body type, if you’re having any anxiety or worry about spending time in a swimsuit, just know that women of all sizes experience swimsuit insecurities and anxiety. Our best advice is to wear the swimsuit and embrace your curves as is. Everyone is too worried about how they look to worry about what you’re wearing. So, go with something that makes you feel fun and free! And you can always pack a cute pair of plus size shorts to wear over your swimsuit if you need to!
Understanding Your Body Type
Plus size women come in all shapes and sizes, with each one being perfect and unique as-is. In this style guide, we will be referring to the four main body shapes that most commonly represent plus-size women. If you’re wondering “What is my body shape?” we have included brief descriptions below!
- Hourglass – If you are curvy in the hips and bust with a small waist, you have an hourglass shape.
- Oval – If you have a fuller figure all around, your body may closely resemble a beautiful oval shape.
- Pear – Do you have wide hips while having narrow shoulders? If so, you might be a pear shape.
- Apple – Is the width of your shoulders and midsection similar, with thinner arms and legs? You’re an apple shape!
Swimsuits for Hourglass Figures
We have great news! If you have an hourglass body, plus size clothing was made with your figure in mind. While most swimsuits will look incredible on your figure, we have included our favorite picks for the hourglass shape:
- High-Cut One-Piece – If you want to emphasize your hourglass shape, opt for a one-piece with a plunging neckline and a high cut. This will dramatize and flatter your figure.
- Hip-Hugging Two-Piece – If you want a flattering look, stick to bikini bottoms that have a regular rise. Going with a high-waisted swimsuit may drown out your figure. Two-piece bathing suits with supportive tops that lift and accentuate your bust will instantly give you a flattering look.
Swimsuits for Oval Figures
Do you have a favorite bikini or one-piece that is your go-to every summer? We would love to spice up your swimsuit wardrobe with these flattering and confidence-boosting pieces:
- One-Piece with a Tie Waist – If you want to cinch your waist and accentuate your curves, style a one-piece with a tie waist. The tie waist gives the illusion of an hourglass figure while also making the one-piece so much more interesting.
- Deep V One-Piece – Highlight your beautiful curves with a one-piece that has a plunging neckline. This piece will give you a sexy and fun look that still hugs your curves in all the right places.
Swimsuits for Pear Figures
When selecting swimsuits for a pear figure, you will want to balance out your curvier bottom with structured tops that draw the eyes up:
- Geometric One-Piece – If you want to highlight your curves, even more, sport a one-piece that has color-blocking elements. By finding a one-piece that has a darker midsection with a lighter top half and lighter bottom half, you will not highlight your curvy waist anymore.
- Thick-Cut Bikini – Do you want a bikini that feels supportive but also enhances your curvy figure? If so, you will want to opt for a bikini that has thicker bottoms that don’t fold or fall while you’re playing beach volleyball. Pairing these bottoms with a bandeau top will balance out your curves while also making you feel beautiful.
Swimsuits for Apple Figures
The best swimsuits for apple shapes are the ones that contour your fabulous curves:
- High-Waisted Bikini – If you want to balance out your broad shoulders, throw on a pair of cute high-waisted bikinis with a supportive halter bikini top. This will give the illusion that you have a curvy bottom while also contouring your shoulders and chest.
- One-Piece Cut-Out – If you want to cinch your waist, look for a one-piece swimsuit that has cut-outs on the side. This will give you the illusion of an hourglass figure.
- Tankini – If you love a little more coverage when it comes to your swimsuits, we love a tankini on your figure. Not only will a tankini balance out proportions, but you will also be feeling confident!
No matter what swimsuit you decide to wear on vacation or during the summer, we think you will look absolutely fabulous! Go forth confidently and soak up the sun!